Our ACP advisors, Janet Sinclair and Donna Kurulak, have strong backgrounds in supporting students in career, life, and education transitions. They have experience in post-secondary teaching and counselling, as well as in advising. They are able to understand the needs, challenges, and aspirations of students, and support them in achieving their current goals, and moving on to their next steps.
Donna Kurulak, our Student Success Advisor, supports both current and prospective students. Here's how:
- Donna can give you advice on course selection, and information about education pathways
- Donna can provide Information and support on preparing to write an assessment
- Our Student Success Advisor is your link between education and employment
- Donna can help you create academic improvement and success plans, and develop academic success strategies
- Donna can provide referrals to specialized support services, guidelines on ABE department and VIU policies and practices, and support transitions to next step
- Connect with Donna via email, telephone, drop-in, or scheduled appointments. She is available to provide workshops to groups
Janet Sinclair, our Aboriginal Student Transition Advisor, can help Aboriginal students transitioning into education and support the development an educational learning plan.
- Come and see her if you are thinking of going back to school and are not sure where to start, or if you want to get into a specific Trades or Academic Program and need some upgrading. She works in both the community and at the Nanaimo Campus.
- Janet is happy to visit local communities to meet with Aboriginal students considering VIU.
- Janet coordinates the Aboriginal Bridging Program, where students can take both upgrading and university level courses in preparation for programs like Nursing, Fisheries, Psychology, Culinary Arts, Carpentry and so much more.
- Janet also teaches our Indigenous Learning Recognition Portfolio course which helps students prepare for academic success and career exploration.